Friday, July 23, 2021

How Do We Know if We're Resting in the Lord?

Or...Resting in the Lord doesn't mean sleeping in your quiet time! When I'm under intense pressure, like right now, I can only focus on resting in God. How do I know if I'm resting in God? I notice flowers and appreciate them. I notice sayings that I have up around my house, and think about their message. I don't speed on the highway (!). I don't hurry. Move quickly sometimes, yes, but absent is the stress that comes with not planning ahead, not leaving enough margin, or lack of self discipline. I have patience with other people, but a razor sharp focus on my boundaries of who I should be involved with and who not. This last week and next week I've had to cancel almost everything but work out of my calendar, to do a project that has been thrust upon me suddenly. But God is giving me grace, and rest. I'll take a Sabbath, exercise, have fun,and worship. I'll work hard the rest of the time, at my computer at 7:00 am many mornings, finishing with a 13 hour day at 8. Praise God, His grace is sufficient. Rest in the Lord. I've heard it said that we get more done if we rest in the Lord than if we don't. I believe it! I heard a teaching on resting in the Lord tonight by Bill Johnson of Bethel church in Redding, CA. He said the Hebrew word "rest" in the Bible is also translated "to give birth." Ah yes, we're giving birth when we're resting in the Lord. Hmmm, I'll have to think about that one for a while! Suffice it to say, that Hebrews 4 and Psalm 37 have a good and much needed message for us in this hectic day and age. "Rest in the Lord and wait patiently for Him..." Not a passive thing. Wait expectantly! --

No comments:

Post a Comment