Friday, October 25, 2019

Emotional Wholeness, in the BIBLE?


There are three qualities that each person needs to be emotionally whole. I will talk about each of them in the next several blogs. Rather like Nancy Alcorn, I’m not one to merely talk about things.  “I don’t have a lot of patience for talking about a problem without solving it. The apostle Paul said ‘The kingdom of God is not in talk but in power.’ (I Cor. 4:20) I believe that 100%.”

 I’m speaking in terms of self-talk: what we say to ourselves. That’s where the rubber meets the road. Of course we all battle these, as each of us has to struggle with “stinkin’ thinkin’” throughout our lives. The question is, which one will win?

Recognizing them can help us. Tremendously.

The first is Gratitude.  Here are some of the things a grateful person says to themselves.
                Everything is a gift!
                I don’t have it as bad as some.
                I’m NOT the center of the universe. (try that one with your kids)
                I appreciate whatever I get. (it doesn’t matter what I hoped I’d get)
                God is SO good to me!
An ungrateful person struggles with self-importance  (pride). We need to cultivate thankfulness with humility and grace.
All too often, we engage in Self-Pity.
                Poor me!
                Life sucks!
    The world owes me. (entitlement, anyone?)
    It’s never enough to make me happy.
    I am worthless.
I have 5 Scriptures for those of you interested in looking them up. Eph. 5:15-20, Col. 3:15-17, Ps. 92:1, Rom. 1:21, Ja. 4:1-3,6. All of them exhort a person to be thankful, not entitled or see themselves as a victim.

So work on this one for a few weeks.Copy the self talk statements and the Scriptures down, and put them up by your mirror. Let yourself think of them, and say them regularly. 

 Next time I’ll write about the second quality…

No comments:

Post a Comment